Sunday, February 9, 2014

DLP Challenge 2

I dreaded the second challenge of DLP: the selfie. *Ugh* I do not like self-portraits, nor do I like photos taken of me. I take the pictures, I prefer not to be in them. I thought of just skipping this challenge, but then I thought might as well suck it up and do it. So I ended up taking a head shot, focusing on my eyes as I find its my most prominent feature. But as soon as I got on the computer and started fiddling around with cropping I decided to just crop to a close up of my face, leaving out my unkept hair. I still wasn't happy, so I started playing with effects. I came across solarization and as this was my favorite technique to do in the darkroom, you know, the place where you, dare I say it, develop pictures! It's sad to think that coming generations will have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. I found the dusky, dark (no pun intended), quiet, lonely darkroom as a happy place for me. I found the smell of chemicals oddly comforting, not quite a soothing fragrance as they are not, but comforting. Back to solarization, I solarized my face and adjusted the settings to my liking and voila! My selfie...



As you can see, this is not exactly your typical selfie pic. I distorted everything with this effect and am quite happy with the results. I used a gelli print on deli paper as my background and added some PL cards (I may not do PL (yet), but I do love the cards) and some shiny ribbon and a mesh sort of ribbon (which I think is awesome) and called 'er done.

To learn more about the Documented Life Project, it's creators and a Facebook group filled with other people's challenges, questions and discussions visit Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thedocumentedlifeproject/ 
Or visit the website that lists weekly challenges and links to the creator's own artwork go to:

Thank you for stopping by & I love to read & respond to comments!

xoxo
Erika aka MsShutterbugg

No comments:

Post a Comment